Monday, April 11, 2011

Elizabeth May in Guelph, VideoDSLR, and YouTube.

With the encouragement of my son, I went to see (Green Party Leader) Elizabeth May on the University of Guelph campus as she swings by on a campaign stop. I knew Ms. May as being an intelligent, honest, and trustworthy person with a "what's-not-to-like" political platform. I wasn't prepared to be enchanted by her personality and her message!

As a newbie to the world of video DSLRs, I take every available opportunity to practice my video/stills craft; on this day, I used my Canon 60D with a Tamron 17-50f2.8, Azden shotgun mike, on a Manfrotto monopod. In hindsight, I should have brought the windsock for the shotgun mike (mini gusts of wind translates into mini thunder rolls). I'm also curious how my Zoom H4N would work in place of the shotgun mike.

I was able to record Ms. May's speech (12+ minutes), as well as local Green Party candidate John Lawson's speech. As a bonus, I was able to record  Izzy Hirji's  recounting of his being banned from a Harper rally in Guelph, a few days ago (I will post both Lawson's and Hirji's once I get their permisssion).

I am so impressed with Ms. May's message to Canadians that I feel I have to relay it to every Canadian who cares about our democracy and our future. I edited my footage, opened an account on YouTube, and the file is being uploaded as I type this blog entry (it's now 1:15 am, I really should be in bed; I have to go to work in a few hours). I will post the link on my next blog entry!

The video work needs a lot of improvement but Ms. May's  message is perfect! It is so much worth listening to, regardless of one's political persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS