Tuesday, June 26, 2012

iPhone Diaries #460: My final iPhone Diary, planned obsolescence, and saying goodbye to the familiar.

 
I went on an early evening bike ride last night to clear my head and just below the Gordon Bridge  I came across this gentleman in hip waders and as I got off of my bike to take in the scenery, several thoughts came to me.
First of all, this scene could only happen in Guelph. With a population of 125,000, the Gordon Bridge over the confluence of the Speed and the Eramosa is the busiest in Guelph. And yet the sight off of this bridge could be mistaken for rural Ontario. This area is a favourite of kayakers, canoeists, and picnickers. My kids have gone for a swim meters away from this spot. I love Guelph and I hope I get to stay here for the rest of my life.
Second of all, this fisherman is casting his line for the joy and the experience of casting his line. It's certainly not to catch any fish (although he might). It's the journey, not the destination. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in how things should be, how they ought to be, when in reality, how it is now is the best it will be. As John Lennon would say, "life is what happens when you're making other plans".
When I first came across this scene, I instantly wished I had my small Sony with the APS-C sensor and the superior lens. But the iPhone is what I had and I reminded myself of my own mantra, "the best camera is the one you have on you". Whether it be a place, a person, or something else, it's wise to remember this line from an old song: "if you can't be with the one you want, love the one you're with".
Thirdly, nothing lasts over. With less than 3 months to go on my iPhone warranty, the camera stopped working.... just went dark. Call it planned obsolescence, call it a malfunction; nothing lasts over. Sadly, nothing in this world lasts forever. Death by itself is never the end; it's the human decisions to end something, anything, that signals the end.
We can  decide, in each of our worlds, to continue with happiness, to create happiness, or to put an end to the unhappy. It is a curse not to ever know the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS